We Intern Tech was created to provide a service for a very niche community; the students of tech majors that were looking for internships. The idea was simple: provide a platform where students can search for a specific technology internship. The challenge: to make it simple to use and easily digestible. I worked as the product designer for this project along side a software developer.
You can visit the site here: www.weintern.tech
We Intern Tech was designed for a niche community of students looking for tech internships. The initial goal was to provide a space where all internships, falling under the broad umbrella of 'technology', would be able to be organized for users. The second goal was to keep the job board very simple and straight to the point. We wanted to avoid making it convoluted with extra features or pages. The main content is the internships.
The first draft included all the essential parts of the website: the name, logo, quick description of what we do, mailing list (important for user growth), filter, search bar and the postings.
I placed the search bar on the right had side, a little out of direct view so that there wasn't as much emphasis on it. The goal was to get users to utilize the filter, which in this draft, it was referred to as "sort by". The rest of the website held the postings in order by the date they were last posted; newest to oldest.
The mailing list was designed in this way to try and draw more users to sign up. By showing them that they can customize their subscription, this would help promote the mailing list more so than a single button would.
The filter was very basic in this version, consisting of only four categories. The category "Other" encompassed any other internship that was still under technology but did not fall under the previous three categories. For example: a social media position or a copywriting position.
The icons express a variety of information a user might want to know prior to reading the whole job posting. The information is extracted from the original posting and will only appear if that information is provide. Above are all four icons used on postings: paid/unpaid, date of application deadline, semester/season the position is for, and Remote/On site. One feature that was added to help users know which postings were the most recent was the "NEW" label. It was designed to only be used for the first 24 hrs of a posting. The rest of the information on each posting includes the title of the position, company, date of posting and location of the position.
There are a handful of differences between the web and mobile version all due to limited spacing. The search bar and filter swapped places to allow users to see what they would be typing in the search bar. The mailing list has been placed at the bottom of the page as well as a "Contact Us".
On the mobile app, due to limited space the mailing list application is a pop up- similar to how it will be done in the revamp below.
To continue with the simplicity of this web design I knew I needed to keep the graphics to a minimum. I wanted to make sure not to crowd the webpage with any intricate or complex graphic design pieces.
This is what the second draft looked like and what is currently live right now. The second page is the job post that contains all the information for the position and of the company. The icons carry over from the snapshot posting on the main page.
After conducting some user testing I realized that the filter was not as useful in it's current design. After making a couple UI and UX changes the latest design version has been completed and is on it's way to production.
With this revamp I updated the filter, added more features such as the "Last Day!" label and changed the UI of the mailing list as well as the "Post A Job", plus a couple more color labels to categorize the postings. The emphasis is now more on the "Post A Job" than it is on the mailing list. However I made sure to keep the mailing list still available for the users upfront.
When the user clicks on "Join our Mailing List" the pop up appears for them to enter the same information from the first version. I wanted to make sure that customizable emails were still available to all the users.
The filter received the biggest update. While doing the user testing, I found that a lot of users wanted more options for the filter. Now users would be able to select location, categories, and term. The 'Filter' button when clicked produces the drop down menu seen in the screen shot.
The color labels on the left were added not only for the additional color elements but also each color (there are 4) correlate to the categories. Although not immediately evident, when a user filters for a specific category they would be able to see all the posts in their respective color. On the right is another label similar to the "NEW" label. The "Last Day!" label expresses that the post is nearing the end of it's application deadline. This will prompt users to take action if they were holding off on it.
The "Last Day!" label was changed to "DUE" for the mobile version due to space restrictions. The hamburger menu here contains the "Contact Us" and the site's social media accounts for the users to follow. Modifications were made to the filter. Not only has it been turned vertical but the options that are selected are not displayed on the page. Unlike the space for the labels in the web version, the mobile version simply did not have the room.